Mutton Biryani or Mutton Dum Biryani is a famous preparation in India, Pakistan and Bangladesh. It is also well liked in the Muslim countries in Middle-East. Mutton Biryani is a delicious dish made from Mutton (meat of lamb or goat) chunks cooked with different spices and steamed with ‘Basmati’ rice. https://kischmisch.de/
It was invented by the one of the royal Muslim bawarchis (cook) during the late hours Mughal reign in India. According to the history, ‘Biryani’ was invented in the Hyderabad city of Southern India. At that time, people were suffering from severe famine. Some day, one royal cook of the then ‘Nawab’ (King) had discovered a new recipe. To reduce the wastage of foodstuff, he prepared a dish with ‘Basmati’ rice, mutton, vegetables and spices- all put into a big deep bottom pan and cooked in steam. This was the ancestor of Mutton Biryani. Very soon, this unique preparation became popular all over India. Gradually, many combinations of spices were invented giving different styles.
At present, two distinct styles of Biryani recipes are popular-
· Hydreabadi style, and
· Lucknowi style
The Lucknow style biryani is a bit dry preparation and Hydredabadi style is juicy one.
Difficulty level – medium
Serves for- 4 persons
Marinating time – 6-7 hours
Preparation time- 1 ½ hour
Total time- ~ 8 hours
Basmati rice- 500 grams
Mutton- 500 grams (Cut into medium pieces)
Onion- 400 grams, chopped
Tomato- 200 grams, chopped
Ginger paste- 2 tablespoon
Garlic paste- 2 tablespoon
Mint leaves (paste)- 2 tsp
Clove- 12 pieces
Cardamom- 12 pieces
Black cardamom- 3 Nos
Cinnamon- 8 strips
Black pepper- 15 Nos
Bay leaves- 5 Nos
Javitri (Mace) powder- 6 grams
Jaiphal (Nutmeg) powder- ½ tsp
Saffron- 2 grams
Cumin powder- 2 tsp
Coriander powder- 2 tsp
Red chilli powder- 2 tsp
Garam masala powder- 1 tsp (find the content in the bottom of this recipe)
Ghee (Clarified butter) – 250 grams
Dahi (Curd) – 100 grams
Rose water- 10 drops
Cashew- 10-12 Nos
Salt- to taste
The Marinating procedure
Wash the Basmati rice and keep it soaked under water for 20 minutes. Wash the mutton chunks and add the curd, ginger paste and garlic paste, 1 tsp salt and ½ tsp red chilli powder. Mix thoroughly. Keep it under refrigeration for 6-7 hours.
· Boil the mutton until it becomes half done. Keep the stock aside.
· Heat the 50 grams of ghee in a pan. Add half of the amount of cardamom, cinnamon, clove, bay leaves and black pepper. Stir fry until the spices become golden brown. Add 750 ml of water and 2 tsp salt into it. Add the soaked Basmati rice into it when the water turn to boil. Cook the rice till it is half done.
· Heat 100 grams ghee in a pan. Add the rest of the of cardamom, cinnamon, clove, bay leaves and black pepper. Stir fry till it becomes light golden in color. Transfer the chopped onion and stir for 5-7 minutes in low heat or till the onion becomes golden in color.
· Add the chopped tomato and stir fry for 2 minutes.
· Transfer the marinated and boiled mutton chunks.
· Add the garlic paste, ginger paste, cumin powder, coriander powder; rest of the red chilli powder, garam masala powder and mint leaves paste. Sauté for 15 minutes in low heat.
· Add a little amount of water if necessary. Cover the pan.
· Cook until the mutton becomes ¾ done.
· Soak the saffron with 20 ml of hot milk.
· Now, take a ‘Handi’ (deep bottom pan with round neck and opening with a lid). Brush ‘ghee’ all through the inner surface.
· Transfer half the amount of cooked ‘Basmati’ rice to the ‘Handi’. Spread some cashew, fried onion, 2 tsp ghee, javitri, jaiphal, and half the amount of rose water over the rice.
· Transfer all the mutton chunks with the spices over it.
· Add rest of the ‘Basmati’ rice over it. Spread the rest of the cashew, javitri, jaiphal, fried onion, 2 tsp ghee, saffron and rose-water over it.
· Transfer 500 ml of the mutton stock to the ‘Handi’.
· Cover the ‘Handi’ properly, so that steam can not escape from inside.
· Keep the ‘Handi’ inside the oven for 20-25 minutes under 250Ú C.
· Your ‘Mutton Biryani’ is ready. Serve hot.
· ‘Garam masala’ contains three ingredients- equal amounts of clove, cardamom and cinnamon.
You can try ‘Chicken Biryani’ if you like chicken. Get the recipe of ‘Chicken Biryani’ here.